• JOHNNY’S •
Learn to Skate is held in the annex training rink, attached to the west wall of Johnny’s IceHouse West and can be entered from the garage, the rink level, and from Madison Street. This newer addition, opened in 2014, gave us the opportunity to expand our youth programs and grow Chicago youth hockey even further. All Learn to Skate and Skates and Sticks classes will be held at the training rink, which allows us to split classes by skill level and take in more kids but still have smaller class sizes. The annex rink also includes a dry land training area for the Chicago Jets, providing shooting and stick handling stations as well as plyometric and weight training. Skates can be laced up in the lobby as well as a small locker room at the northeast corner of the rink. Also there is a mezzanine with bleachers overlooking the ice for parents to watch.
Kids ages four to ten can learn the fundamentals of skating by joining Johnny's Learn to Skate Program. Sessions are offered year round. Participants learn the basics of skating. Each class is split up into two groups, Beginner 1 and Beginner 2, which are offered at different times as indicated below. The focus is improving basic skating abilities and getting each participant ready to move into the Skates and Sticks Hockey Skating Program.
Due to class size restrictions, participants must sign up for a specific date and cannot attend alternate days, NO Exceptions. All fees are non-refundable and there are no make up days. A completed online registration agreement and full payment is due prior to the skater’s first class. Customers currently enrolled in the class are allowed to pre-register and will have one week to register before the link is made public. An email will be sent to all current customers with information. If a class does not appear on the drop down menu at the time of public registration opening that means it sold out during pre-registration. All classes are held at the new training rink next to the West location.
Beginner 1 classes are for kids who require walkers and those who are still walking on the ice rather than gliding. Students in Beginner 2 need to have a smooth skating stride and should to be able to push and glide, snowplow stop, turn both ways, and have an intro to backwards skating. Beginner I & II are for children ages 4-7, children must be at least 4 at the start of the session and no older than 7 at the end of the session. Children age 8 up to 10 years old must sign up for the Sunday 11:10am class.
Fall 2016 Registration is
SOLD OUT CLASSES:
SUNDAY BEG 1
WEDNESDAY BEG 1
SUNDAY BEG 2
Please note, if the class you are trying to sign up for does not show up in the drop down, then it is either full or your child does not meet the age requirements for the class.
The Summer 2016 Session is now in session and ends 9/14/16, there are no classes 8/24/16 & 9/5/16. Fall Pre-Registration for current customers begins Monday, 8/29/16 at noon and Public Registration will begin Wednesday, 8/31/16 at noon. The Fall Session begins 9/19/16.
- Johnny's IceHouse does not rent skates or helmets. Students must bring their own skates & helmet.
- All participants must have their own medical/accident insurance.
- Children must wear skates, helmet, gloves, and layered clothing.
- All participants must pre-register and pay.
- Skaters are not allowed on the ice until an instructor tells them it's okay.
- Parents are not allowed on the ice for this program. We encourage parents to watch from the stands to keep from distracting the kids.
- Please arrive 15-20 minutes prior to start time to put on equipment.
- Have skaters go to the bathroom before getting on the ice.
- Use the locker rooms to get your child ready to skate. (JIH is not responsible for lost or stolen items.)
- Indoor, heated parking is available for $2.00.